Saturday, August 9, 2014

Miyercoles and 6 Augusto
Alas Sais pm

We went to Maasin School today again. Sister Sessions had a busy day. A little 5th grade boy that had been working on reading with her came back to the room where I was and told Maam Solomon (pronounced mom) "Maam Sessions cute." She gave him some candy at the end of his lesson, so he was very impressed.

Filapinos are very straight forward and say exactly what they want. They ask you how old you are, how many children, etc. They tell you, "You're Fat", (pronounced fot). We talked to Sister Ortega in Culasi and told her we met her son at the church in San Jose. She said, "He's obese", like she was telling you his middle name. He is a bit overweight, but . . . We thought it strange, but that is common dialogue.

I talked to Maam Solomon to see if I could do more to help. I sit quite a lot. She said I could start working with some of the slower students and she would set me up next week.

I sold 4 olins to one little guy for a peso and lost about 10. I thought they were called olies, but the kids informed me today it was olin. We had a good time. I had them shouting, "Come on baby" when it was my turn to shoot. When I kept missing I tried to get them to say in unison, "Bummer!" They didn't get that. I will get them going next week.

We worked with Francis on kinaray-a this afternoon. We are making slow progress, but it was fun today. We will try for Friday at 9:00 am for another language lesson. Sister Sessions is starting to get some receptive skills going and I am able to generate a little, if given some time to think of vocab.

Few pics from the Maasin School trip today.
Sunny morning on the way up to Maasin School. The road was terrible, but we have had a couple of days a bit drier. Pretty valley.

This fellow was taking advantage of the sun to dry some rice out front of the school. He laughed and laughed at my playing olins with the kids.
These men were net fishing in the clear water of the south fork of the river. The north fork was brown and carrying much silt. The two are only a few hundred kilometers apart at the bridge I was standing on to photograph these guys. The water was very pretty and I thought them enjoying themselves staying cool on a humid, sunny day. I wanted to get in with them.




No comments:

Post a Comment