Saturday, December 27, 2014

Sabado ang 27 Decyembre

We walked this morning, had breakfast, and Sister S started laundry for the traveling AP's. I painted  a little. We waited to leave to Malandog for the re-enactment of the landing of the Datu on the island of Panay. According to the downtown schedule of Binarayan events, it was to start at 1:00. We thought it might start on time as it is a provincial highlight. Wrongo . . . .

The Legend of Maragtas: The Ten Bornean Datus and the Purchase of Panay

The barter or purchase of Panay Island from the Ati,  by the 10 Bornean datus (kings, noblemen, rich fortune seekers) from Ati King Marikudo during the first half of the 13th Century in Sinugbuhan, San Joaquin in southern Iloilo. The landing of the datu is thought to have been at Malandog, in what is now Hamtic.

Injustice, tyranny, and cruelty drove the ten datus of Borneo to flee from their country–escaping the oppressive rule of the despotic Sultan Makatunao. They silently and secretly boarded their binidays (boats) and sailed along the coasts of Paragua (Palawan). In the course of their northward journey, they sighted the island of Panay and steered their boats towards it until they reached the mouth of Sirwagan River north of the hamlet of Sinugbuhan which was the abode of King Marikudo. There they saw an Ati fishing in the creek from whom they learned about Marikudo, his kingdom and his people.

The Borneans gained audience with Marikudo, who first acted with caution and restraint having had undesirable experiences with Moro pirates. Datu Puti, however, expressed his desire to befriend the natives and their intention to settle in the land permanently, possibly at the site of Marikudo’s settlement.
The offer interested Marikudo who gathered his men to discuss the terms of the offer and ordered them to prepare a feast. When everything was ready, a banquet was held in which the Borneans and the natives danced and played musical instruments. They beat their drums and played on their “mangmang”, “gurong-gurong” and “subling”. In return, the Negritos danced their “urokoy” and their “undok-undok”.

When the feast was over, Marikudo’s elders and the ten datus sat down to discuss the terms of the purchase. The famous barter was then held at Embidayan at the seashore near the mouth of the Sinugbuhan River, in the neighborhood of what is now Malangog Barangay, on the inter-provincial highway.
The new settlers moved in three days after the barter, with the exception of Datu Paiburong and his wife and followers, who settled separately in a place now called Lang in Dueñas, Iloilo.

From Sinugbuhan, the datus spread out to different places of Madia-as, the -name they substituted for Aninipay (Panay). To Datu Sumakwel was assigned Hamtik (Antique); Datu Bangkaya, Aklan; and Datu Paiburong , Irong-Irong (Iloilo). Datu Puti returned to Borneo and fought Datu Makatunao.

Marikudo’s territory costs one golden “saduk”, a sort of helmet or broad-rimmed hat which gives protection to the face from sun and rain; and one golden necklace which Marikudo’s wife Maniwantiwan preferred over the gold basin Datu Puti first offered. There are contentions, however, that the price was not a golden “saduk” but rather a ”saduk” full of gold. Followers of this point of view say that it was rather impractical for the Borneans to be wearing a golden hat which was heavy.

All this is folklore, but it is interesting and fun.
We parked in the barangay and road trikes to the beach site of the re-enactment. Sister Sessions' driver laughed all the way. My guy was about twice his age and had to haul the fat boy. No laughing. They only wanted 10 pesos each. We gave them a healthy tip and they enjoyed that.

Datu approaching.

Ati (and two photographers) cavorting on the beach. The photographers (there were many) sort of ruined the show.

One datu steps on land. Then he fell on his face and hugged the earth and rose, throwing sand to the right and left. Not sure of the significance.
 The sun got really hot. When we went and arrived in Malandog, the sky was overcast and we feared rain. It did not rain, but cleared. We got there at 12:30 thinking we were 30 minutes early according to the schedule of events downtown San Jose. We wanted to find a place to sit. We did so, but nothing started until 3:10. We watched as long as we could stand, but the sun drove us out. We didn't see the whole show, but . . .

"Filipino time" Sucks. It is a great drawback to being here. What a monumental waste of time. . . always being late.

No comments:

Post a Comment